The Primary Role of the Transitional Pastor
The Role of the Transitional Pastor is to provide both pastoral and transitional leadership. This includes functioning in the role of interim Lead Pastor to help the church move towards greater health to help achieve the main objectives of an intentional Transition. These include:
• Helping the church to find stability and continue in effective ministry through the transition.
• Helping the church experience a greater measure of health - spiritually, relationally, organizationally and operationally in preparation for the pastoral search.
• Preparing the church to enter into an effective pastoral search from a posture of health.
• Providing preaching ministry, oversight and supervision for the church staff team, and working closely with the Board of Elders.
• Working with the pastoral staff to ensure that the ministries of the church are healthy.
• Encouraging the congregation and church leadership that transition is primarily a season of spiritual formation and discernment.
Primary Role of the Transitional Coach
The Transitional Coach works in partnership with the Transitional Pastor and the Board of Elders to achieve mutually agreed upon Transitional objectives. The role of a Transitional Coach is to provide leadership and oversight for the intentional Transition process including:
• Oversight of the major phases of the intentional Transition Process.
• Working collaboratively with the congregation and the Board of Elders to identify agreed upon Key Result Areas (KRAs) that emerge from the Transitional assessment.
• Working with a team to write an up to date History of MRAC document.
• Guiding the review, clarification and/or development of church’s Vision/Mission and the Pastoral Profile.
• Preparation of the Pastoral Search Profile document in collaboration with the Board of Elders.
• To provide preaching ministry when specific transitional issues may need to be addressed.
• To help ensure that effective communication takes place with the congregation throughout the Transitional process.
Transitional Pastor and Transitional Coach Relationship
• The working relationship between the Transitional Pastor and Transitional Coach is a ministry partnership created to effectively achieve the agreed upon transitional objectives.
• The Transitional Pastor will provide the primary leadership and direction in achieving the Pastoral goals of the transition with support from the Transitional Coach as needed.
• The Transitional Pastor and Transitional Coach will work collaboratively to achieve the Transitional goals in collaboration with the Board of Elders and the Pastoral staff.
• The Transitional Pastor and Transitional Coach are directly accountable to the Board of Elders.
A more detailed description of the Roles of the
Transitional Pastor and Transitional Coach
is available to download: